WHY MEDIATION WORKS AND ADVANTAGES OF MEDIATION
Mediation allows the parties to a dispute to air their views in an informal setting. The mediator explores potential ways of settling the dispute with each party, guiding the parties to a more realistic view of their situ-ation by highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of their case the risks inherent in failing to reach a settlement. The parties are in control of the process and the outcome.
Even where a mediation fails the parties often narrow down the scope of the dispute to a single issue which can then be dispensed with quickly by the court.
The advantages of mediation are :-
- speed of dispute resolution (usually 3-4 weeks with a 1 day mediation).
- cost savings - both for the process and in respect of the extent of legal fees.
- improvement in communication between the parties.
- a flexible informal procedure.
- addresses unreasonable claims and expectations. Should produce a fair outcome.